Are Mushrooms Really Medicinal?
There is growing research on the benefits of mushrooms (we are not talking about the white button mushrooms you use in cooking. We are talking about exotic-sounding ones) such as Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake, etc. Lion's Mane and Cordyceps, which are referred to as medicinal mushrooms. Medicinal mushrooms have been traditionally used for protection against infectious diseases and immune system dysfunction for centuries. Medicinal mushrooms are edible macroscopic fungi that are the source of many nutrients, including fibre, protein, potassium, minerals & vitamins. They contain a large number of components called polysaccharides, glucans, flavonoids and other micronutrients, providing therapeutic benefits for immune health, anti-ageing, & virus protection. They are also an excellent source of prebiotic fibre, which positively influences the gut microbiome.
Medicinal mushrooms are categorized as adaptogens, meaning that they help the body adapt to the stressors and bring them back into balance. They are also immune modulators, which means they improve immune function, whether your immune system is deficient or excessive. For example, some immune system diseases (autoimmune conditions) are caused by an overactive immune system, such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. Medicinal mushrooms may help to calm and stabilize the overactive immune responses. Some of their therapeutic properties include:
- Immune modulating
- Liver protection
Different Mushroom Function Differently
Each specific medicinal mushroom species has its distinct combination of polysaccharides allowing them to boost the immune system in slightly different ways.
- Chaga is commonly used for vitality and good health and is widely used for autoimmune disorders.
- Lion's Mane is used to help support the brain and central nervous system. It helps to boost mood and improve cognitive function.
- Shiitake possesses antioxidant and antimicrobial actions and is used medicinally in diseases involving depressed immune function and cardiovascular support
- Maitake is a recognized immune-health modulator known for its adaptogenic activity. Specific standardized beta-glucan extracts show anti-tumour activity
- Cordyceps helps to strengthen weak immune systems and adrenal depletion caused by physical, dietary and environmental stress factors. It repairs, nurtures and supports the adrenal system and works with the endocrine system to balance hormone levels. It is used to enhance vigour and vitality and improves fatigue
- Red Reishi has earned the nickname "mushroom of immortality" in traditional Chinese medicine due to its purported ability to bestow longevity and health. Reishi possesses extensive immune-modulating effects and can help protect immune system cells from oxidative damage.
Whole Earth & Sea Pure Food Super Mushroom blend contains six of the most researched mushrooms (Cordyceps, Chaga, Lions Mane, Maitake, Shitake, Reishi and Beta Glucan). The addition of clinically studied beta-glucan primes and strengthens the immune system to manage everyday stress better. Whole Earth & Sea Pure Food Super Mushroom is a unique mushroom blend. It is
made with fresh, raw earth and sea vegetables, cruciferous sprouts, polyphenol-rich fruits and herbs, Theracurcumin and green tea to retain and intensify the total goodness of whole food.
A combination mushroom supplement is often a good choice for overall immune health, or if you are unsure, which mushroom supplement is right for you.