Collagen supplements have remained one of the most requested supplements, and for good reason. Collagen first emerged as a skin supplement, but its benefits far outweigh its beauty benefits.
Collagen is the most abundant form of protein in the body. Its fibre-like structures are used to make connective tissue. Connective tissue provides strength and structure to the body and is a significant component of bone, skin, muscles, tendons and cartilage. Collagen helps to make tissues strong, resilient and able to withstand stretching. Your body relies on the elasticity of connective tissue to support cartilage, bone, and muscle mass and provides strength to the inner layer of the skin. Your body produces 16 different types of collagen, but 80-90% of your Collagen consists of types I, II, and III.
As you age, collagen production decreases faster than your body can replenish. Over-sun exposure, smoking, and chronic stress can accelerate its decline. As Collagen decreases, wrinkles become more apparent; skin loses elasticity and moisture. Muscle mass also declines, causing muscle atrophy, and joint cartilage begins to weaken, leading to joint and mobility problems.
Why Take Collagen?
- Supplementing with collagen positively reduces skin wrinkling, helping the skin to hold more moisture and improve its elasticity. Improving the overall look of skin
- Collagen supplements may also provide therapeutic benefits for osteoporosis and osteoarthritis by supporting the integrity of your cartilage and bone mineral density and providing relief of pain. Referring back to collagen as the matrix for bone, a decrease in collagen production can also cause a deterioration of bone mass, resulting in osteoporosis or osteopenia.
- Collagen supplements may help with hair growth if the cause of hair loss is caused by dry, damaged hair, dry scalp or some forms of dermatitis. Collagen will not cure hereditary baldness.
- Other benefits of supplementing with collagen are heart health, strengthening and providing structure to arteries.
- Collagen supplements do not produce weight loss; however, they can increase the feeling of fullness (satiety), reducing hunger and how many calories you eat. Subsequently, if you suffer from stomach disorders such as heartburn or delayed bowel emptying, proceed with caution with this supplement so you do not aggravate symptoms.
- Supplementing with collagen does not take away your body’s ability to synthesize collagen naturally. Collagen naturally declines with age. Supplementing with collagen gives your body extra collagen to make up for its dwindling supply. However, once you stop supplementing with collagen, your body’s stores will continue to decline as part of the continued ageing process. Collagen supplements help slow the process down by supporting connective tissues.
- How long does it take collagen to work? Many studies have shown that it can take between 6- 12 weeks to see noticeable improvements in skin elasticity, hydration and density. If you are using collagen for hair and nail growth, it can take 2-6 months. If collagen is used to reduce muscle soreness, the benefits can be felt in a few days of use and for increased muscle strength within 12 weeks. It can take up to six months to improve joint health and up to a year of continued use to strengthen bones.
What should you look for in a collagen supplement?
Collagen supplements can provide a substantial boost for feeling and looking good, so it is no wonder it has become so popular. The popularity of collagen has caused an onslaught of supplements to flood the market, so it is important to stick to brands that are transparent with their ingredients and manufacturing process. The form of collagen that is most often used when studying the effects of collagen is “Hydrolyzed Collagen.” Hydrolyzed Collagen is most effective because it can be broken down into smaller molecules after consumption, making it easier to absorb into your bloodstream. Hydrolyzed Collagen is flavourless and odourless and can be added to foods, smoothies, water or juice.
Collagen supplements are either derived from bovine or marine sources, making them off-limits for vegetarians and vegans. Plant-based collagen supplements do not contain any collagen but rather help stimulate the body to produce more collagen.
Due to the vast benefits of collagen supplements, Organika has expanded its product offerings to include a full line of “collagen-infused” supplements. The same Enhanced Collagen but with the addition of condition-specific supporting supplements and herbs!
- Organika Enhanced Collagen was not only one of the first Canadian companies to develop collagen supplements; their raw materials are derived from grass-fed, pasture-raised and antibiotic and hormone-free sources. Organika Enhanced Collagen Original is their most versatile collagen and supports skin rejuvenation, hydration and texture. It strengthens and promotes the growth of hair and nails, maintains healthy joints, and helps maintain muscle. Organika Enhanced Collagen can also support your weight management program by increasing satiety. Now available as a Lemon Enhanced Collagen Protein, Organika’s Lemon Enhanced Collagen Protein™ is a refreshing twist on our Enhanced Collagen Original formula. All the same benefits in a delicious and tangy citrus lemon flavour. Chocolate Enhanced Collagen™ is a decadent, smooth and creamy beverage made with real cocoa and 0g of sugar.
- Organika Enhanced Collagen Pure Beauty supports your glow from within. This Ultimate Beauty Blend helps to enhance your beauty regimen with Canada's #1 Collagen Powder, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C, Silica and Zinc... it's the ultimate beauty blend
- Organika Enhanced Collagen Relax contains Hydrolyzed Collagen With Magnesium Bisglycinate and L-Theanine. Relax while you glow! Organika Enhanced Collagen Relax supports the growth and recovery of lean muscle mass and joints while building stronger hair, skin and nails. Plus, prepare to chill with two great relaxation-supporting nutrients. Help you get your chill on
- Get your beauty sleep on with Organika Enhanced Collagen Sleep! Formulated with GABA and Melatonin to support deeper, more restful sleep with the added benefits of collagen! Enhanced Collagen™ Sleep helps you get a deeper, more restful sleep with the added benefits of collagen!
- Organika Enhanced Collagen Vitality is a hydrolyzed collagen blend with Organic Matcha. Providing all the benefits of matcha green tea and a stable energy boost. Recharge and glow!
- Organika Enhanced Bone & Joint is fortified with glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, and other nutrients such as vitamin D3 and K2 to provide a blend that gives special attention to aching bones and joints. This synergistic blend of ingredients is helpful for supporting a healthy frame as you age, move and slow down joint wear and tear.
- Essential Aminos Enhanced Collagen Protein™ is the same collagen formula with the addition of Tryptophan to complete the essential amino acid profile. Further support the growth of lean muscle mass while also continuing to reduce joint pain, nourish your skin, and improve your hair and nails.
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Enhanced Collagen Protein™ is a LIMITED-EDITION decadent, smooth and creamy beverage made with real cocoa and 0g of sugar. Do you love the taste of Chocolate Strawberries? Indulge and satisfy your chocolate cravings with a better-for-you treat that goes the extra mile, providing the benefits of collagen and wellness from within. Dark Chocolate Chip Mint Enhanced Collagen Protein™ and Dark Chocolate Caramel Macchiato Enhanced Collagen Protein™ are also LIMITED-EDITION flavours.
- Are you feeling dehydrated? Organika Electrolytes + Enhanced Collagen is made to be your hydration aid! Containing Electrolytes + Enhanced Collagen™ is your go-to blend for an instant dose of thirst-quenching nutrients and grass-fed bovine collagen. Simply add this effervescent powder to water for a light-tasting electrolyte-replenishing drink with 0 g of sugar. Comes in a variety. Available in Zesty Lemon Berry, Juicy Strawberry Peach, Wild Berry, and Juicy Strawberry Peach.
How to Use Organika Enhanced Collagen?
- Mix into your favourite hot or cold drinks
- Add to smoothies, cooking, or baking
- Completely flavourless and odourless
Mix two scoops (approximately 10 g) in half a cup or more of your favourite hot or cold drinks. Enhanced Collagen is virtually tasteless and can be used in desserts, baking, smoothies, and cooking.
Supplementing with collagen has no known harmful side effects. However, some collagen supplements may have added vitamins, and herbs may pose interactions and allergies. Collagen supplements may aggravate some digestive disorders and should be avoided if you are prone to kidney stones or have a kidney disorder.